Vintage Pattern Month- Part 2

I’ve managed to get the bulk of my dress together with only fitting the bodice more neatly and hemming to go so I thought I’d share with you my progress so far:

Image

My favourite part so far is the bias binding on the arms and neck. I hand stitched it and I’m so glad I did as I think it just makes it look so much neater. 

ImageImage

 

Hopefully the next time you see this it’ll be finished!

Improv dressmaking

I love working with vintage patterns, however, there are those occasions when you love a design but half of the pattern pieces are missing. I had planned to make a very sweet 1960s top, complete with collar and sleeve cuffs. However, after selecting some sweet remnants from my stash I realised that there were a few pattern pieces missing. I really wanted a new top to wear to go and see The Stone Roses at the weekend so I bashed on anyway, with no collar or cuff pieces I decided on a plain neckline and sleeve design. I also realised I didn’t have a zip so had to refashion the neck fastening a bit. Finally, for a bit of a sweet detail I added a white ribbon bow…and here it is. One afternoon and a bit of faffing about later I had a wearable top! It may not be my neatest, most competent work but I am happy that I was brave enough to stray away from the pattern and try something out myself. ImageImage