I’ve finally bitten the bullet and decided to try my hand at making a patchwork quilt. I’ve fancied it for a while but been reluctant, I’m not even sure why really. I’d love to do a really graphic striking and intricate design but that may be some years down the line. For my first attempt I am using large squares in a variety of scraps, broken up with a pale blue and red polka dot.
So far I have managed to cut out enough squares to make a decent sized quilt and have laid them out to make sure the design works. I am actually starting to really love the mix of colours and patterns. Plus each scrap reminds me of a different project or shopping trip. It’s been quite a lovely experience so far. I’ve machine stitched a couple of rows together and now can’t wait to see the finished product!
In other news, a recent trip to Belfast resulted in some fantastic vintage fabric buys, including this beauty which was promptly made into cushion covers for our sofa.
I absolutely love this bicycle print fabric. It’s been in my stash for a couple of years at least one of which it was halfway to becoming a Colette Meringue skirt. That was until yesterday when I made the decision to finally get it finished. There was one problem though. Over the pasy year or so I lost half the pieces I’d cut out so decided to improvise and just make up a nee skirt. I’m glad I did as this skirt is such a great fit and is so wearable I know I’m going to wear it loads.
So, I’ve finished my July vintage pattern dress and here is the final product
I have to say I am really pleased with how this turned out. Ignore the fit on the dummy, it actually fits mr really well and is now all packed for a wee trip to Dublin.
I’ve managed to get the bulk of my dress together with only fitting the bodice more neatly and hemming to go so I thought I’d share with you my progress so far:
My favourite part so far is the bias binding on the arms and neck. I hand stitched it and I’m so glad I did as I think it just makes it look so much neater.
Hopefully the next time you see this it’ll be finished!
I have finally come in from the lovely weather and made a start of my vintage pattern this month. I was going to pick this one but when I went to look for it in my pattern folder I stumbled across this beauty and decided it would make a great summer frock…
I’m going for option C with the skirt length of option A. I am also going to use bias binding at the neck and arms instead of facings. Mainly because I am in love with my bias binding maker and I want any excuse to use it.
Choosing a fabric wasn’t easy but I settled on this lovely cotton I got in the John Lewis sale.
with that chosen I ironed out my pattern pieces and fabric and got started cutting and marking everything.
June was Indie Pattern Month and I came a bit late to the party (poor scheduling of drafts). I did manage to make a Colette Sorbetto top.
I thought that July would be a great time to do Vintage Pattern month. I love sewing up vintage patterns and have a collection waiting for some attention. I really fancy making some sweet summery dresses so I might get started with this bad boy….
I’ve made this before and worn it to death so I think it might be time to make another.
Would anybody else like to join in? Just comment below and let us know what patterns you’re going to be makign up.
I love working with vintage patterns, however, there are those occasions when you love a design but half of the pattern pieces are missing. I had planned to make a very sweet 1960s top, complete with collar and sleeve cuffs. However, after selecting some sweet remnants from my stash I realised that there were a few pattern pieces missing. I really wanted a new top to wear to go and see The Stone Roses at the weekend so I bashed on anyway, with no collar or cuff pieces I decided on a plain neckline and sleeve design. I also realised I didn’t have a zip so had to refashion the neck fastening a bit. Finally, for a bit of a sweet detail I added a white ribbon bow…and here it is. One afternoon and a bit of faffing about later I had a wearable top! It may not be my neatest, most competent work but I am happy that I was brave enough to stray away from the pattern and try something out myself.