Bicycle Skirt

I absolutely love this bicycle print fabric. It’s been in my stash for a couple of years at least one of which it was halfway to becoming a Colette Meringue skirt. That was until yesterday when I made the decision to finally get it finished. There was one problem though. Over the pasy year or so I lost half the pieces I’d cut out so decided to improvise and just make up a nee skirt. I’m glad I did as this skirt is such a great fit and is so wearable I know I’m going to wear it loads.

image

image

Advertisements

Vintage Pattern Month-Part 3

So, I’ve finished my July vintage pattern dress and here is the final product 

image

I have to say I am really pleased with how this turned out. Ignore the fit on the dummy, it actually fits mr really well and is now all packed for a wee trip to Dublin.

image

Vintage Pattern Month- Part 2

I’ve managed to get the bulk of my dress together with only fitting the bodice more neatly and hemming to go so I thought I’d share with you my progress so far:

Image

My favourite part so far is the bias binding on the arms and neck. I hand stitched it and I’m so glad I did as I think it just makes it look so much neater. 

ImageImage

 

Hopefully the next time you see this it’ll be finished!

Vintage Pattern Month- Part 1

I have finally come in from the lovely weather and made a start of my vintage pattern this month. I was going to pick this one but when I went to look for it in my pattern folder I stumbled across this beauty and decided it would make a great summer frock…

 Image

I’m going for option C with the skirt length of option A. I am also going to use bias binding at the neck and arms instead of facings. Mainly because I am in love with my bias binding maker and I want any excuse to use it. 

Choosing a fabric wasn’t easy but I settled on this lovely cotton I got in the John Lewis sale. 

Image

Image

Image

with that chosen I ironed out my pattern pieces and fabric and got started cutting and marking everything. 

 

Vintage Pattern Month

June was Indie Pattern Month and I came a bit late to the party (poor scheduling of drafts). I did manage to make a Colette Sorbetto top.

I thought that July would be a great time to do Vintage Pattern month. I love sewing up vintage patterns and have a collection waiting for some attention. I really fancy making some sweet summery dresses so I might get started with this bad boy….

Butterick Vintage 60s Dress Pattern.

I’ve made this before and worn it to death so I think it might be time to make another.
Would anybody else like to join in? Just comment below and let us know what patterns you’re going to be makign up.

Improv dressmaking

I love working with vintage patterns, however, there are those occasions when you love a design but half of the pattern pieces are missing. I had planned to make a very sweet 1960s top, complete with collar and sleeve cuffs. However, after selecting some sweet remnants from my stash I realised that there were a few pattern pieces missing. I really wanted a new top to wear to go and see The Stone Roses at the weekend so I bashed on anyway, with no collar or cuff pieces I decided on a plain neckline and sleeve design. I also realised I didn’t have a zip so had to refashion the neck fastening a bit. Finally, for a bit of a sweet detail I added a white ribbon bow…and here it is. One afternoon and a bit of faffing about later I had a wearable top! It may not be my neatest, most competent work but I am happy that I was brave enough to stray away from the pattern and try something out myself. ImageImage