I love working with vintage patterns, however, there are those occasions when you love a design but half of the pattern pieces are missing. I had planned to make a very sweet 1960s top, complete with collar and sleeve cuffs. However, after selecting some sweet remnants from my stash I realised that there were a few pattern pieces missing. I really wanted a new top to wear to go and see The Stone Roses at the weekend so I bashed on anyway, with no collar or cuff pieces I decided on a plain neckline and sleeve design. I also realised I didn’t have a zip so had to refashion the neck fastening a bit. Finally, for a bit of a sweet detail I added a white ribbon bow…and here it is. One afternoon and a bit of faffing about later I had a wearable top! It may not be my neatest, most competent work but I am happy that I was brave enough to stray away from the pattern and try something out myself.
Here’s a quick peek at the finished dress I mentioned here A New Dressmaking Project! My friends and I are all ready for the wedding of the year….
In the whirlwind that was moving house and redecorating my crafty projects were put to the side for a significant amount of time! Now that we’re moved and settled (bar a few finishing touches) I’ve been able to indulge my brand new craft space. I’ve never had a whole area I can call my own to work in before, it’s always been a corner of the living room, which isn’t ideal if there is anybody else around. The first this I decided to do was get back into a bit of dressmaking.
This was partly a necessity as I’ve a wedding coming up and was so disappointed with what was on offer in the shops…too short, too many frills, no sleeves, wrong colours, cost a small fortune, the list goes on. All I wanted for the wedding was a simple dress in a vibrant summery colour, it had to be a decent length (I want to feel like I can sit down without flashing the world), it also had to have sleeves (I didn’t want to have to bring an extra cover up, or worse…show my arms!).
So my only option was to raid my vintage pattern selection and my fabric stash. I picked a turquoise blue lawn and this pattern;
I loved the sleeves in option 1 so decided on that with a remnant of psychedelic fabric I picked up years ago! Buying the pattern, fabrics and notions so long ago was beginning to make this dress feel like a freebie!
I can be quite impatient when I’m dressmaking, cutting a bit too roughly, not pinning and tacking properly but this time I decided to do everything by the book and I’m so happy I did….I love the finished product, what do you think?
I am considering adding a contrasting collar, in the same fabric as the lining of the sleeves…all time dependent though!
I’ve started work on another crochet wedding blanket for a wedding in June and I am beginning to panic about it so I need some honest opinions! I am worrying that the colours I have chosen are going to be too garish. I’ve picked bring sunny colours for a couple of reasons, the bride and groom are bright, sunny people so I thought it would be nice to try and incorporate their personalities in the blanket. I also selcted the red and yellow for luck and fortune (in Chinese culture, they are traditional wedding colours) and the orange to incorporate the groom’s favourite football team. Looking at all the balls of wool together I thought they were a lovely warm, bright combination;
However, as I started to crochet I began to worry that they were looking a bit garish and mad, what do you think?
I’ve just powered on for the moment and the blanket is getting bigger, I’ve mixed up the squares so some are plain, like the orange above and some are mixed. All squares have a pale yellow border which I was hoping would bring the design together a bit. I was wondering if a plain one colour border around the whole blanket would maybe tie it all together? I need some help here!
This week I haven’t picked a selection of pins to highlight, instead I have decided to share a page with you instead. This lovely Pinterest page by Sarah Catherine Designs is just lovely. She has recently tidied it up and sorted her boards and pins and has inspired me to tidy up my own page a bit.
Last weekend I went to visit a friend in the Scottish Borders. However, before I’d even left work I realised I hadn’t packed any winter woolies…disaster in this snowy weather! Luckily I had packed wool and a crochet hook so I quickly got to work on some mitts and a hat. They may not be the highest quality items that I’ve even made but they did the job and kept me warm and cosy over the weekend. Don’t you just love it when crafting comes to the rescue!
This week I’ve been thinking a lot about growing things. As I live in a small flat I have no garden and so have been planning ways to grow things with minimal space used. Here’s some of my favourite ideas!
So there we have it. With some glass jars and some upcycled tins I’m sure I can make my windowsills a haven for tiny plants.